Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pollock Halls

Our accommodations in Edinburgh were nice, but in my opinion have a series of pros and cons. The actual room was very easy to acclimate to and reminded me of a single dorm room back at Ohio University, but larger. We had a kitchen but no useable oven or stove, which would have saved us a lot of money being able to cook dinner every night instead of going out. Eating out everyday was positive because we got to try so many different kinds of local food, but it wasn’t helpful for my waistline or my wallet. On a positive note Pollock halls provided a nice breakfast every morning, but got kind of monotonous towards the end of our stay. Pollock halls also had a bar next to the dining hall called the JMCC that the group would sometimes hang at. The cleaning faculty and R.A.’s were very nice and down to earth. I had a few run in’s with the staff when they were not very helpful but overall I encountered many friendly and serviceable employees.  However, my favorite “staff member” of Pollock halls was Shiraz the gypsy cat. Shiraz liked to visit some of us by jumping in out windows, for a tiger snooze, or for a scratch behind the ears. The cleaning staff told us that he did not have an owner per-say, he was just a wandering gypsy with a personality all its own. He was notorious for spending the night with us to keep us company, he even graced my presence one evening. We all took a great liking to him and I will miss Shiraz!

No comments:

Post a Comment